Welcome

Welcome! Like the book of the same name, this blog is an eclectic collection of Sherlockian scribblings based on more than a half-century of reading Sherlock Holmes. Please add your own thoughts. You can also follow me on Twitter @DanAndriacco and on my Facebook fan page at Dan Andriacco Mysteries. You might also be interested in my Amazon Author Page. My books are also available at Barnes & Noble and in all main electronic formats including Kindle, Nook, Kobo and iBooks for the iPad.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

An Armistice Day Reflection


Happy Veterans Day to all of those who served and are serving (especially my brother and our younger son, the master sergeant)!

Originally we would have been saying Happy Armistice Day. You may remember that this holiday was established to remember the end of the Great War on November 11, 1918. This is an appropriate day, then to look back at the beginning of that awful conflict in August 1914 - "the most terrible August in the history of the world."

When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was asked what Sherlock Holmes was doing in the war, his written response is my favorite Sherlock Holmes story, "His Last Bow." In book form, the story was subtitled "An Epilogue of Sherlock Holmes." That is fitting, but the original subtitle in The Strand Magazine was "The War Service of Sherlock Holmes."

As I have written before, both the beginning and the end of the story are magnificent, and big part of what makes the story so special to me.

World War I changed everything, and it is worth noting that the Holmes stories written after the war are much darker in tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment